By using or accessing the Service you agree to be bound to the terms and conditions of this Policy. If you do not agree to this Policy, please exit and do not use the Service.
1. COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
1.1 What is Personal Information?
When we say “personal information” we mean any information that identifies an individual, such as (but not limited to) an individual’s name, email address, postal address, device-specific information and log information (as described below). Any information that does not, on its own, identify an individual person is considered and treated as non-personal information. When non-personal information is combined with other information so that it does or can be used to identify an individual, this information is treated as personal information.
1.2 Why Do We Need Personal information?
We need certain personal information in order to communicate with you, provide you with the Service you request through our Site, and to address any customer service inquiries you make to Designlab.
1.3 Your Consent
1.4 Information We Collect
Designlab may collect information about you from various sources. Specifically, we may obtain information about you:
- On our Site (e.g., when you request information, establish an account, or submit content to our Site);
- When you call us, email us, or communicate with us through social media; and
- From our affiliates or subsidiaries, service providers, business partners, and other third parties.
The types of personal information we may obtain includes:
- Contact details (e.g., name, postal address, email address, and telephone number);
- Username and password for the account you may establish on our Site;
- Photographs, videos, comments, and other content you submit to us;
- Information you provide by interacting with us through social media; and
- Other details that you may submit to us or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties.
1.5 Course and Mentor Specific Information
When you enroll in a course, we (directly or indirectly) collect certain information from you, including your name, email address, billing address, shipping address, and payment information (including credit card or debit card numbers). We may inquire further about other information or preferences to help improve your experience in the course. When filling out an application to a course, the application may ask you for personal information such as the following: name, email address, phone number, age, gender, location, relocation willingness, education completed, field of study, employment information (status, industry, title, salary), discovery information, preferences for the course (cohort, track, payment plans, work plans during the course), English skills, previous design experience, previous design work, motivations for applying, time management expectations during the course, expectations of the course itself, expectations of mentor and application video. We may inquire further about other information or preferences to help improve your experience in the course. When applying to be a mentor, Career Coach, Group Crits facilitator or other member of the Designlab team, the applications may ask you for information such as the following: name, email address, phone number, education history, portfolio, work history, LinkedIn profile, work style, motivation, capacity, feedback, location, linguistics, employment information (status, industry, title, salary) and previous experience with Designlab.
1.6 Automatic Data Collection
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically. We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information that you provide us or that we collect about you. We do this to improve services we offer you, to improve marketing, analytics, or site functionality and to analyze trends in the aggregate and to administer our Site. The information we may collect by automated means includes:
- Information about the devices our visitors use to access the Internet (such as the IP address and the device, browser and operating system type);
- URLs that refer visitors to our Site;
- Dates and times of visits to our Site; and/or clickstream data
- Internet service provider;
- Referring/exit pages;
- The files viewed on our Site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.)
- Information on actions taken on our Site (such as page views and site navigation patterns);
- A general geographic location (such as country and city) from which a visitor accesses our Site or mobile applications; and
- Search terms that visitors use to reach our Site.
We use two broad categories of cookies: (1) first party cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, which are used only by us to recognize your computer or mobile device when it revisits our Site; and (2) third party cookies, which are served by service providers on our Site, and can be used by such service providers to recognize your computer or mobile device when it visits other websites.
We use the following types of cookies for the purposes set out below:
You can typically remove or reject cookies via your browser settings. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “settings,” “help” “tools” or “edit” facility). Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.com/uk.
If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Site. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer or mobile device and you will not be able to log into our course platform.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use the information we collect about you (including personal information, to the extent applicable) for a variety of purposes, including to (a) provide, operate, maintain, improve, and promote the Service; (b) enable you to access and use the Service; (c) process and complete transactions, and send you related information, including purchase confirmations and invoices; (d) send transactional messages, including responses to your comments, questions, and requests; provide customer service and support; and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages; (e) send promotional communications, such as providing you with information about products and services, features, surveys, newsletters, offers, promotions, contests, and events; and provide other news or information about us and our partners. You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or following the unsubscribe instructions included in our marketing communications; (f) process and deliver contest or sweepstakes entries and rewards; (g) monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with the Site and Service and for marketing or advertising purposes; (h) investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions, unauthorized access to the Service, and other illegal activities; (i) personalize the Site and Service, including by providing features or advertisements that match your interests and preferences; and (j) for other purposes for which we obtain your consent.
2.2 Transfer of Information to the U.S. or Other Countries
2.3 Residents of the European Economic Area
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal information.
- (a) Data Subject Rights Requests. If you are a resident of the EEA, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, erased, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing activities. If you submitted personal information directly to us or in accordance with the provision of our Service and you would like to view, change, limit or delete your personal information, you can do so via your account settings or by contacting us. Upon request, we will notify you about whether we hold any of your personal information. By visiting your account settings, you can access, correct, change and delete certain of your personal information associated with your account. In certain cases where we process your information, you may also have a right to restrict or limit the ways in which we use your personal information. In certain circumstances, you also have the right to object to the processing of your personal information, to request the deletion of your personal information and to obtain a copy of your personal information in machine-readable format. If you need assistance accessing or modifying your personal information or wish to delete your personal information, please email us at email@example.com.
- (c) Questions or Complaints. If you are a resident of the EEA and have a concern about our processing of your personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority where you reside. For contact details of your local Data Protection Authority, please see: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.
3. SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
3.1 Third Parties
We often need to engage third-party companies and individuals (such as payment processors, research companies and analytics and security providers) to help us operate and provide the Service. These third parties have only limited access to your information, may use your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated to us not to disclose or use your information for other purposes.
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Designlab or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company;
- Between and among Designlab and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you. For example, we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other services or platforms.
4. RETAINING YOUR INFORMATION
5. HOW WE PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide on our Site and through our Service against accidental unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. Other personal information (not including payment card information) may be transferred unencrypted and involve (i) transmissions over various networks and (ii) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices. However, Designlab will use commercially reasonable efforts, like secure socket layer (SSL), to encrypt information such as your login credentials during transmission.
6. THIRD PARTY LINKS AND SOCIAL NETWORKS
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third-party websites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked websites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these websites.
We may also provide social media features on our Site that enable you to share Designlab information with your social networks and to interact with Designlab on various social media websites. This includes social media features, such as the Facebook Like button and widgets, such as the Share this button or interactive mini-programs that run on our Site. Your use of these features may result in the collection or sharing of information about you. These features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our site, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our site. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and settings on the social media websites with which you interact to help you understand those website’s privacy practices.
7. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Designlab does not knowingly collect personal information or direct its Site to children under the age of 16. If we learn that a user of our Site is under 16 years old, we will promptly delete any personal information that the individual has provided to us.
8. CONTACTING US
Designlab Learning, Inc.
Last Updated: December 28, 2018