Are you passionate about the climate and design? We've got something special for you!
From November 30 through December 12, 2023, Designlab Mentor Experience Lead Crystal Campbell will be hosting a digital 'Climate Café' space for Designlab students, alumni, and mentors—and the community at large—to discuss design + climate + planet-centric topics.
Join us for a week of chatter and events where we'll explore the intersection of design, our impact on the environment, as well as the behavior and mindset changes that are needed.
Here’s what you can expect:
List of Events & Workshops (Free to the Public)
Below you’ll find the full list of individual events that will be taking place throughout our Climate Cafe. Please note that you must register for each event individually, via the links below .
Event 1: Towards a Regenerative Future: A New Design Paradigm
- Monday, December 4 @ 5pm EST / 10pm GMT
- Register here for this event
As designers, both junior and senior have you been wondering about the role and impact of design in the years to come? Join us on a journey that reshapes conversations, sparks creativity, and transforms problem-solving tools.
- Design as catalyst: how the role of the designer needs to evolve from individual collaborator to master facilitator and connector in order to shape conversations and prompt creativity.
- Design as a triple impact effort: how our creative problem-solving tools can shape circular products and services.
- Design as meaning making: how our communication efforts can shape public’s perception and behaviors: a case study.
You'll also have the chance to chat with these two amazing designers, in a dedicated Q&A session after the presentation. So save all your questions for them!
Event 2: [Workshop] Winning the Hearts and Minds of the Change Averse
- Wednesday, December 6 @ 3pm EST / 8pm GMT
- Register for this event here (Spaces limited to 25 people)
One of the most persistent challenges in meeting our climate change goals is convincing people and organizations to willingly embrace new attitudes, behaviors, and ways of being.
Hosted by Matt Marsh, this Climate Cafe will explore the underlying human traits that result in resistance and reluctance to change, and effective techniques to transform change blockers into advocates and adopters.
This hands-on workshop is for anyone who is interested in how people tick, and what design can do to influence changes in behavior.
In this workshop, you’ll:
- Learn more about the design of behavior change.
- Discuss and ideate in small breakouts to explore through design how we might collectively address some of the most pressing challenges facing the climate.
- Participate in a lively and thought-provoking Q&A discussion.
- Leave with a head full of interesting ideas!
Event 3: Design Patterns of Intention: Mindful Choices for Meaningful Outcomes
- Monday, December 11 @ 5pm EST / 10m GMT
- Register here for this event
Ever wondered how much your design choices can shape the behaviors of the people you design for? As User Experience designers, our impact is right there in our title.
Hosted by Crystal Campbell, Designlab Mentor Experience Lead, this Climate Cafe will explore how each design decision we make has the potential to create a ripple effect, influencing not only the user experience but also the broader impact on the world.
In the session, Crystal will explore:
- Examples of mindful choices and meaningful outcomes in design
- Practical strategies for junior designers to infuse intentionality into their work
- Design patterns that drive meaningful and purposeful outcomes
- Helpful design resources for intentional designers
Event 4: [Showcase] From Concept to Case Study: Climate Action by Design Pecha Kucha
- Tuesday, December 12 @ 5pm EST / 10pm GMT
- Register for this event here
Join us for a fast paced Pecha Kucha style exploration of case studies that address climate action by design, showcasing the research, process, challenges, and sharing the insights of turning concepts into designs. Let's delve into the stories that bridge concepts with reality, and showcase the impact of design.
In this showcase, we'll share:
- Practical insights on how design can play a pivotal role in informing climate action
- Real-world experiences and perspectives from our Designlab students and alumni
- Thought-provoking discussions on the responsibilities of designers in the face of climate challenges
Bonus: Discord Channel for Designlab Students and Mentors
In addition to the events and workshops, Designlab students and mentors will be able to participate in ongoing conversations about climate + design + planet-centric topics in our Discord community.